What is the BCMDA
The Buffalo City Metropolitan Development Agency (BCMDA) is a municipal entity wholly owned by the Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality and established in terms of S76 of the Municipal Systems Act, 32 of 2000, as amended. BCMDA, is in essence a successor to the Buffalo City Development Agency that was established by the Municipality in 2004 a non-profit company.
Due to the evolution of the legislation over time, there was therefore a need to convert the non-profit to a profit company. This was one of the immediate priorities of the new Board of Directors as appointed with effect from 01 February 2014. At the same time, the Buffalo City Municipality had attained the metropolitan status in 2011 and it has been revising its own organisational structure to align to the metro requirements. All this led to the incorporation of the Buffalo City Metropolitan Development Agency, with a new and invigorated mandate.
The primary mandate of BCMDA is to attract investors into Buffalo City and increase economic growth through tourism, economic and social development as well as property management and commercialisation.
The mandate of the agency as approved by the council on 11 December 2015 appears as figure 1 below.
Goals & Objectives
The outcome oriented goals of the agency are as follows:
- A stable and fully capacitated agency to deliver on its mandate efficiently and effectively
- Improved number of tourists and tourism spend in Buffalo City
- Efficient, productive and sustainable management of land and buildings
- Improved socio-economic benefits within Buffalo City
The above goals will be achieved through the following strategic objectives:
- Equitable and sound corporate governance
- Adequate and appropriately skilled staff
- Secure, harmonious, transformed and conducive working environment
- Efficient and effective information technology and knowledge management service
- Effective board secretariat and legal support
- Tourism opportunities exploited in high value products
- Inner City Regeneration
- A well-developed beach front
- Less waste that is better managed
- Effective open space management
As BCMDA we will strive to perform our functions in a professional and transparent manner guided by the highest levels of integrity whilst delivery high quality products and services and accountable to our stakeholders. The BCMDA has therefore defined the following guiding values in its operations:
A city that is more welcoming and competitive with ample opportunities to invest, work, play and live.
Building a better Buffalo City through facilitating and undertaking development initiatives for the benefit of all the citizens of the city.